Mexico says Drug Lord ‘El Chapo’ Guzaman extradited to US

MEXICO CITY Mexico’s government says it has extradited drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman to the United States, where he is wanted on drug trafficking and other charges.

The Foreign Relations Department has announced on Twitter that Guzman was being sent to the U.S. on Thursday, the day before Donald Trump is to be inaugurated as U.S. president.

 

The convicted Sinaloa cartel boss has been held most recently in a prison near the northern border city of Ciudad Juarez. He was recaptured a year ago after making a second brazen jailbreak and had fought extradition since then.
The Foreign Relations Department has announced on Twitter that Guzman was being sent to the U.S. on Thursday, the day before Donald Trump is to be inaugurated as U.S. president. 
“The government of the Republic announces that today the Fifth Appellate Criminal Court in Mexico City ruled to deny the protection of the Federal Justice system to Joaquín Guzmán Loera against the agreements made by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on May 20, 2016 which permitted his extradition to the United States of America in order to be tried for various crimes, after finding that those agreements complied with constitutional requirements, the requirements of bilateral treaties and other legal rulings that are in effect and that his human rights were not and have not been violated by these proceedings,” the government said in a statement obtained by CBS News.  
The convicted Sinaloa cartel boss has been held most recently in a prison near the northern border city of Ciudad Juarez. 
The leader of the Sinaloa cartel has twice escaped from maximum-security prisons in Mexico, most recently in 2015. He was recaptured in January and is currently imprisoned in the northern border state of Chihuahua.
Guzman has cases pending in multiple jurisdictions, but the DOJ most recently indicted him on a new set of charges in Brooklyn in May 2016 on 16 drug related counts, CBS News justice reporter Paula Reid reported. It is mostly likely that he will face trial in that district, but the DOJ has not said that publicly.
Read More

Massive Manhunt Underway for Suspect Who Fatally Shot Orlando Police Officer

Massive Manhunt Underway for Suspect Who Fatally Shot Orlando, Fla., Police Officer

Markeith Loyd, 41, has been identified as the suspect in the fatal shooting of Orlando Police Master Sgt. Debra Clayton.

 

A massive manhunt is underway in Florida after a man fatally shot an Orlando police officer Monday morning, the Associated Press reports.

According to the newswire, Orlando Police Master Sgt. Debra Clayton was gunned down near a Wal-Mart store in northwest Orlando earlier Monday. The suspect has been identified as 41-year-old Markeith Loyd, who was also a suspect in the murder of his pregnant ex-girlfriend last December.

“He should be considered armed and dangerous,” Police Chief John Mina said at a press conference. “He will be brought to justice.”

Mina praised the fallen officer as a “committed” part of the team and “a hero” who gave her life to the community she loves. Clayton was a 17-year veteran of the force and leaves behind her spouse and two children. Clayton loved children and always had a smile and a high-five for every child she came across, the department said.

According to AP, authorities released a video of Clayton’s body being taken out of the hospital to a waiting van in a flag-covered stretcher. A line of officers saluted the stretcher as it was wheeled out.

Police hiked their reward for information on his whereabouts to $60,000. An Orlando SWAT team had surrounded an apartment complex a couple miles northwest of the Walmart around noon, demanding Loyd step outside, but eventually left.

Earlier in the day, a motorcycle crash killed an Orange County deputy sheriff taking part in the manhunt, the sheriff announced.

Conclusion,Loyd had been arrested 20 times in Orange County since 1994, according to court records.

Police said the officer killed was Master Sgt. Debra Clayton, a 17-year veteran of the force and mother of two, married for one year. Officials did not identify the deputy who died. At least 64 officers were killed in gun-related incidents in 2016, a jump of more than 50 percent from the previous year, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

 


 

Read More
Chicago’s bloodiest Year ends with 762 Homicides
Jan02

Chicago’s bloodiest Year ends with 762 Homicides

 

 

CHICAGO has had one of the most violent years in Chicago history ended with a sobering tally: 762 homicides, the most in two decades in the city and more than New York and Los Angeles combined.

The nation’s third largest city also saw 1,100 more shooting incidents last year than it did in 2015, according to data released Sunday by the Chicago Police Department. The statistics underline a story of bloodshed that has put Chicago at the center of a national dialogue about gun violence.
The numbers are staggering, even for those who followed the steady news accounts of weekends ending with dozens of shootings and monthly death tolls that hadn’t been seen in years. The increase in homicides compared to 2015, when 485 were reported, is the largest spike in 60 years.

Police and city officials have lamented the flood of illegal guns into the city, and the crime statistics appeared to support their claims: Police recovered 8,300 illegal guns in 2016, a 20 percent increase from the previous year.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said during a news conference Sunday that Chicago is among many U.S. cities that have seen a spike in violence, including in attacks on police. He said anger at police, including in the wake of video released that showed a white Chicago officer shooting a black teenager 16 times, has left criminals “emboldened” to violent crimes.
He also said it’s becoming clearer to criminals that they have little to fear from the criminal justice system.

“In Chicago, we just don’t have a deterrent to pick up a gun,” he said. “Any time a guy stealing a loaf of bread spends more time pre-trial in jail than a gun offender, something is wrong.”
Johnson, who has for months complained about Illinois’ lax gun laws, said he thinks more and more gang members are arming themselves because the price for being caught is small compared to other large cities. He said gang members he has spoken to consider the court system “a joke.”

The bulk of the deaths and shooting incidents, which jumped from 2,426 in 2015 to 3,550 last year, occurred in only five of the city’s 22 police districts on the city’s South and West sides, all poor and predominantly black areas where gangs are most active.
Police said the shootings in those areas generally weren’t random, with more than 80 percent of the victims having previously been identified by police as more susceptible because of their gang ties or past arrests.

The city has scrambled to address the violence. Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced last year that 1,000 officers would be added to the police department. At the same time, police officials have been trying to figure out why homicides and shootings — which began climbing the year before — suddenly surged.

On Sunday, Johnson said he hoped several initiatives — including more street cameras in some of the city’s most dangerous neighborhoods, and the expansion of gunshot-detection systems — would lead to more arrests and drive down the violent crime rate.
Johnson has said several factors have contributed to the increased violence. He noted 2016 was the first full year since the city was forced in November 2015 to release video of the fatal police shooting of Laquan McDonald, the black 17-year-old boy who was shot 16 times by a white police officer.

The video cost former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy his job, sparked major protests around the city, and led to federal and state investigations of the police department.
It also left Johnson with the task of trying to restore public trust in what appeared to be a weakened police force, a perception that was only buttressed by a dramatic drop in the number of arrests in 2016.

The police department has cited several factors for the declining numbers, including a concerted effort not to make minor drug arrests and focus on gun violence. Johnson pointed to gun arrests and gun seizures as evidence that his officers are aggressively fighting crime.
But critics said they have no doubt that officers have become far more reluctant to do their jobs since the McDonald video was released and the officer who killed the teen was charged with murder.
“It’s almost like a pull back so they (gangs) can kill each other sort of thing,” said the Rev. Marshall Hatch, a prominent minister in one of Chicago’s most dangerous neighborhoods on the West Side.

Johnson acknowledged in a recent interview with The Associated Press that officers have become more cautious — in part out of fear of becoming the next “viral video.” He also said a state law that took effect last January requiring officers to fill out lengthy contact cards when they stop someone has resulted in fewer stops, because the cards require more paperwork for officers and the cards are “scrutinized” by federal judges.
He said those concerns are not lost on criminals.
“Criminals watch TV, pay attention to the media,” he said. “They see an opportunity to commit nefarious activity.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/1-of-chicagos-bloodiest-years-ends-with-762-homicides/ar-BBxN8Z9?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

 

Top Five Tools

Read More

Manhunt underway after Massacre at Istanbul Nightclub

ISTANBUL — Turkish authorities were hunting for a lone gunman who opened fire on a New Year’s celebration early Sunday at one of Istanbul’s most popular nightclubs, killing dozens of people, many of them foreigners, and wounding scores more in one of the deadliest attacks on civilians in the city.
The victims include an Iraqi architecture student, a Turkish policeman and an Israeli woman celebrating the new year with her friends. At least 39 people were killed and 70 people wounded, and citizens of five other countries were believed to be among the dead, officials said.

The assault, which began with a spray of gunfire from a single assailant around 1 a.m., was the latest in a string of deadly attacks that have shaken Turkey as it faces threats both at home and from the civil war next door in Syria.
Sunday’s incident was the fourth major attack in Turkey in less than a month, including the high-profile assassination of the Russian ambassador by a Turkish policeman, and a brazen car bomb attack against riot police at a soccer stadium in Istanbul. That attack was claimed by separatist Kurdish militants, who have waged a decades-long insurgency against the Turkish state.

Officials on Sunday called the nightclub attack a “massacre” and an act of terrorism. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the attack was meant to “trigger chaos.”

We “will never give passage to these dirty games,” Erdogan said in a statement posted on the presidency’s website.
Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Solu said the assault on the Reina Club — a sprawling venue on the edge of the Bosporus strait, popular with Istanbul’s elite — was carried out by a single gunman who has not yet been identified. Speaking to reporters outside an Istanbul hospital, Soylu said the attacker changed clothes to escape the scene.

“Our security forces have started the necessary operations” to find the attacker, Soylu said. He said at least 15 of the 20 victims identified were foreign nationals. Later, Turkey’s minister of family and social policies said that the victims included Saudi, Moroccan, Lebanese and Libyan citizens. Israel’s Foreign Ministry confirmed that one Israeli woman, 19-year-old Leanne Nasser, was killed. Lebanese media also reported that one of its nationals was also confirmed dead.
The attack, which targeted a club popular with international clientele, appeared to echo the massacres at Bataclan, a Parisian concert venue, in 2015, and a gay nightclub in Orlando last June.

In both cases, one or more gunmen used assault rifles to shoot revelers at cosmopolitan venues in the heart of each city, killing scores from countries around the globe. Those attacks were claimed by the Islamic State. There has been no claim of responsibility, however, for the Istanbul attack.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/manhunt-underway-after-massacre-at-istanbul-nightclub-officials-say/ar-BBxMnYA?ocid=spartandhp#image=BBxLuOD|2

Read More

Pin It on Pinterest